West Coast RV Camping
Review by Jaimie Hall Bruzenak
West Coast RV Camping: The Complete Guide to More than 1,800 RV Parks and Campgrounds in California, Oregon, and Washington by Tom Stienstra includes information on more than 1800 RV parks in California, Oregon and Washington. The more I look at it the more I like it. You can find RV parks in several ways:
- if you know the name, use the index
- if you are looking for a certain area, use the map at the beginning of each section or look in those pages
- if you have an interest such as fishing, seeing wildlife or camping along a pretty river, check that listings in that section for ones in your state
Each campground is described according to general location and nearby recreational opportunities, RV sites and facilities, reservations and fees. Directions and contact information are given. Icons give you certain information at a glance, such as whether pets are allowed.
Two things make this book unique:
- One is a scenic rating. The rating is just that and does not take into consideration noise level, facilities, maintenance, recreation options, or management. It is basically rating how picturesque the campground is, not the quality of the experience.
- The other unique feature is listings of his the best parks in several categories: best coastal sites, best fishing, best wildlife-viewing, prettiest lakes, prettiest rivers. For those with a specific interest, this information is quite helpful.
Stienstra does not include all campgrounds, nor those that are in extremely remote locations, very difficult to reach or where the access road is extremely narrow or twisty. Included are many state parks, some national park and other federal campgrounds. He does mention the longest RV the campground can accommodate but not how many sites of each. If you have a rig longer than 35 feet, you may want to verify that there are open sites of the size you need. Also, prices can go up anytime so verify the price if that is a concern.
If you are like most RVers we know, one campground guide is not enough. If you will be spending time in these any of these three states and want to enjoy their beauty, this is one campground guide you must add to your collection. $24.95